Page last updated 05/04/13 09:22 PM
Information on Deer Exclosures at Hoyt
Hiking Trail Distances at Hoyt
Hoyt Campmasters &
Hoyt Alumni Association (HAA)
Third Wednesday of the Month (USUALLY), 7:30 PM
Hoyt Training Cabin
We're Always Looking for a Few Good Campmasters
Contact Head Campmaster
NEW for 2013
Hoyt Scout Camp Patches
Be the Very First in Your Unit
to Own One (or Two) (or MORE)
Contact Hoyt Ranger: Greg Zap
|2013 FOS Patches|
|Mike Zap (Chair)|
|Greg Zap (Camp Ranger)|
|Ken Korin (OA Liaison)|
|Ray Pflomm (Building & Structures Mgr.)|
|George Boncek (Trails Mgr.)|
|Ken Blackwell (Member at Large)|
|Kevin Blackwell (Cub Scout Rep.)|
|Brad Kocka (Property Mgr.)|
|Roger Williams (Land Use Mgr.)|
|John Zap (Leave-No-Trace Coordinator)|
|Wade Anderson (Member at Large)|
|Rick Barton (Archery Range Mgr.)|
|Michael Carpenter (Member at Large)|
|Neil Doran (Rifle Range Mgr.)|
|Ed St John (Campmaster Emeritas)|
|Bill Hall (Council Camping Chair)|
|Jay Lubin (Council Executive Board)|
|Dan Cooley (Staff Advisor)|
Hoyt Scout Camp is located in West Redding, Connecticut, bordered by Simpaug Turnpike, Marchant Road, Side Cut Road, and Station Road. The Camp contains approximately 174 wooded acres located in a rural setting. It is bordered by wooded private property (residences) as well as land owned by Aquarion Water. Named after John Sherman Hoyt (born July 29, 1869 in NYC; died March 30, 1954 in Darien, CT), a wealthy industrialist and dedicated Scouter from Norwalk, CT, who was one of the original founders of the Boy Scouts of America in 1910. Learn More about John Sherman Hoyt.
The property was donated to the Alfred W. Dater Council in March 1966 by Alice B. Sanford. This is a copy of the deed.
The training cabin was dedicated to "General Carter" in October 1968, at the time the building of the cabin was started. More information on General Arthur Carter, USA, can be found here.
More history and lore can be found here.
The property is easily accessible from Route 7 (2 miles), Route 15 [Merritt Parkway] (10 miles), Interstate 84 (10 miles) and Interstate 95 (15 miles).
The Property is one of five active Camps owned and operated by Connecticut Yankee Council, BSA (including Camp Sequassen, Deer Lake, Camp Pomperaug, and Wah Wah Tay See.) The Hoyt Scout Camp is the only scout camping property located in the western portion of the Council.
The property has a wide range of features that give it numerous options with regards to land usage for Scouting. The “lower” or "south" area of the camp is accessed from 3 Marchant Road. Its primary features includes several expansive fields, three wooden pavilions, latrines, hand operated water pump, a generous parking area, and wetlands.
The “upper” or "north" area is accessed from 288 Simpaug Turnpike. Its primary features includes a heated cabin, with kitchen and bathroom facilities and a rifle range (dedicated in April 2012). The cabin is primarily used for training, and is also available for sleeping (although there are no specific sleeping facilities [i.e. bunks or cots]). The “upper” area of the camp also contains a modest parking area, latrines, and an extensive trail system that leads to primitive camping sites.
Access to an old Garnet Mine is off Simpaug Turnpike.
|Updated (2010) Camp Map of Hoyt - JPG (1.5 MB) PDF (241 KB)|
Topo Map of Hoyt Scout Camp (Entire Area) [1 MB PDF]
For PDF Files, you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader; click here for a FREE COPY