Quality Web Site Designation
Page last updated 05/05/12 07:13 PM
After much reflection, consideration, and thinking, the District has decided to implement a quality web site designation program for Scout Units within Scatacook District, in an effort to help set a standard for high quality Unit web sites throughout Scatacook District.
Winning the designation is pretty simple, and is based on the premise that a Scout and a Scouter are Trustworthy: a Unit may win this award by self-certifying that the Unit web site meets the criteria outlined below. The request for designation and certification e-mail must come from either the Unit Leader or Unit Committee Chair.
So, what are the criteria?
Well, I'm glad you asked.
1. Read and agree to abide by the Council's Guidelines for Unit Web Sites. The only exception to these Guidelines relates to pop-up ads - if a Unit's "free" web hosting service includes pop-up ads as part of the web hosting agreement, then the pop-up ad is permitted.
2. Read and agree to abide by the District's Guidelines for Unit Web Sites. Specifically, this includes that a Unit will NOT publish on its web site any information on scouts (under age 18) that could lead to their identification, including last names, phone numbers, addresses, or e-mail addresses. If you publish any photos of your scouts on your web site, the photos cannot identify scouts by name.
4. Ensure that all pictures and personal references to adult leaders (names, addresses, phone numbers, e-mail addresses, etc) have each leader's approval.
5. An adult leader MUST always be involved in the creation and management of the Unit web site. While it is fine for the Unit web site to be a "boy run" operation, a web site has serious implications for the Unit and the Chartering Organization and requires oversight. If youth members are creating web pages or posting photos or even calendar entries, please make sure that all pages are reviewed by an adult leader before they are posted.
6. It is strongly recommended that a Unit not create chat rooms or mechanisms that would allow uncontrolled posting to your site. These are high-risk.
7. Please include at least two (2) links on your web site:
Connecticut Yankee Council
So, what's the process? How do I get designated?
1. Review the criteria above.
2. The Unit Leader or Unit Committee Chair should send the Scatacook District Webmaster an e-mail, certifying that the Unit web site is currently in compliance with the criteria, and that the Unit agrees to remain in compliance.
3. The Scatacook District Webmaster will make a quick, quick visit to the Unit web site, just to double check on things.
4. The Scatacook District Webmaster will send an e-mail to the unit, with a copy of the certification graphic (in JPG format) attached to the e-mail. You can download the graphic on this page, but first save it to your hard disk before posting to your web site. Otherwise, you'll be linked to the actual graphic on this page, and you'll be "stealing" our bandwidth. And the link will break after a few weeks, as we change the graphic's name periodically.
5. Please post the graphic on your web site, with a link back to this page:
6. One certification is good for 2003 and 2004, another for 2005 and 2006, and another for 2007 and 2008.
Questions or comments, e-mail the Scatacook District Webmaster.
|Pack 142||New Fairfield||05/21/2011|
|Pack 137||New Fairfield||01/28/2009|
|Troop 137||New Fairfield||02/11/2008|
|Pack 88||Nazareth, PA||01/30/2008|
|Troop 42||New Fairfield||11/30/2007|
|Pack 142||New Fairfield||04/15/2007|
|Pack 170||Sandy Hook||01/23/2007|
|Pack 142||New Fairfield||11/07/2004|
|Troop 137||New Fairfield||03/13/2005|
|Pack 170||Sandy Hook||11/13/2005|
|Pack 142||New Fairfield||02/10/2004|
Visitors since 10/05/2003